History

History

High Oaks was chartered in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania as a Christian Science Nursing Facility in 1949, and continued as such until 1992 when it closed and was sold. Shortly thereafter we became a public nonprofit with a 501(c) 3 federal tax exempt designation. Our activities changed at that time to that of a resource for Christian Scientists in financial need in the area served by the High Oaks facility. This area was generally Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland. Our current Pennsylvania State charter allows High Oaks to serve residents in the following six states: Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, New York and Virginia.

As a public nonprofit, our activities include financially assisting those in need by helping pay for practitioner services, Christian Science nursing facility stays, as well as Christian Science home nursing care.   We also provide support for Christian Science nurses training tuition.  Additionally, young people and families may apply for summer camp and family camp tuition at Christian Science camps.  Individuals may also apply for short-term temporary necessities.

High Oaks has joined with other Christian Science organizations nationally in support of fellow Christian Scientists, relief efforts, and other healing activities.

Two inspirational meetings for students of Christian Science are offered each year.